This spring, BlogHer partnered with Compass Partners to do a social media benchmark study of more than 6,000 women. The results provide an interesting peek into the social media mindset of women:
According to the study, 36.2 million women actively participate in the blogosphere every week. That’s about 15.1 million actually writing blogs, and 21.1 reading or commenting on those posts. Many of these women are so passionate about blogging that large percentages of women said they would give something up to keep the blogs they read and/or write:
– 55% would give up alcohol
– 50% would give up their PDAs
– 42% would give up their i-Pod
– 43% would give up reading the newspaper or magazines
BUT, some things are sacred … only 20% would give up chocolate!
Additional survey results include:
– 24 percent of women surveyed said they watch less television because they’re spending more time blogging
– 25 percent said they read fewer magazines because they’re blogging
– 22 percent said they read fewer newspapers because they’re blogging
– More than half of women surveyed consider blogs a reliable source of information
– Half of women surveyed said blogs influence their purchase decisions
Smart marketers are building relationships with their female consumers through the blogosphere.
Check out the full study here!